cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Contest - How do you prepare for the Busy Season?

jenni
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone! 👋

I wanted to share some great news! From March 15-31, we want you to reply and share how you and your team get ready for the busy season in this post. By doing so, you’re automatically entered for the chance to win $1,000 to support your restaurant's busy season preparations! Terms Apply.

We'd love to get to know you and hear how your restaurant team prepares for the busy season. Reply and tell us more about you below!

• Name
  • Restaurant Name
  • How long have you been a Toast customer?
  • What are your best tips on preparing for the busy season?

28 REPLIES 28

Greetings from the Beach!

My name is Zach Baker and I own the best beach bar in Surfside Beach, South Carolina!
We are located at 20 South Ocean Boulevard, Surfside Beach, SC 29575
843-238-1013
Find us on facebook at Neal and Pam's in Surfside Beach, SC #nealandpams
shop@nealandpamsbarandgrill.com
www.nealandpamsbarandgrill.com

Our company has been a Toast user since reopening after the unfortunate Covid shutdown of March 2020.  We have increased functionality, speed, & deliverance with this equipment & updated technology.  Our staff enjoys the user friendly design as well as the handheld devices that we purchased to help make all orders and payments easier for the worker, manager and/or our guests--especially since we have an inside bar and dining area as well as a huge deck on the front of the building that allows for servers to use the handhelds table side. The kitchen will also agree that they are able to read food tickets easier since everything is spelled out simplistically for them to complete all food orders.  This increases accuracy and speed, and at the end of the day-Sales & Profit.  It's a win win for all of us!

Unfortunately our bar had to unexpectedly close its doors July 22, 2022 as we suffered a fire.  The original prediction and goal was to have the popular spot reopened, latest by Thanksgiving of 2022; however, due to circumstances out of our control we were not so lucky.  For every step forward that we made getting closer to a reopening date, we experienced push back with city and town regulations & codes that have pushed a reopening to still happen.  (We hope by April 1st 2023!).  We are finally bringing back the former staff and a large number of new employees to refamiliarize themselves with the Toast equipment and to relearn its easy functionality to make their shifts headache free with all orders and payments. Also, to get hyped up and trained for an amazing season that is about to happen for our establishment! 

I have used a lot of different computer systems (digital dining, clover, aloha, POS just to name a few) but Toast is by far the best!  If I ever have an issue that I can't figure out using their online website and/chat, I can make a quick call to be talked through individually by a person on the other end.

As I took a break from updating our new menu changes in anticipation of our reopen that should happen in the next few weeks, its time to get back to work.

May you all continue to thrive in your individual businesses for 2023!!

And as I always sign off with any daily announcements or updates to my patrons & staff, "Go Gamecocks!!" 

• Name: Isaac melton
  • Restaurant Name: Khepri Cafe
  • How long have you been a Toast customer?2021
  • What are your best tips on preparing for the busy season? Make sure you have a full staff  who are fully trained and reliable. Hopefully, some of the slow time has been used to clean and do maintenance which will be more difficult over the busy season. 

My name is Tiffany  I own Billy Goat Coffee Cafe in TN. We have been using Toast since 1 week before covid hit . Before going into the busy season we always pull out the two month calendar. We find it helpful to put personal items on that calendar first so nothing outside of the business gets missed. From doctors appointments, to birthdays, to family commitments.  We always put our teams important items in the calendar as well. Its just as important to prioritize what they will need and be able to celebrate their wins as well.   We find this very helpful to keep our minds focused on big things at work when personal items are front center.

Hi! I'm Ginger from Toucan Taco in Laurel, Maryland. We're a family run business for over 50 years as I took over from my parents 15 years ago. We added Toast at least 5 years ago, and we don't miss our old system one bit. We serve spicy Tex-Mex food. Since Cinco de Mayo is our big day, we are gearing up by hiring more staff, getting them trained up, and slowly beefing up our non perishable supplies.

• Eric W
  • Watermark
  • Dayton, OH (USA)
  • Toast for 3 years

Busy seasons (such as Summer Patio Weather or year-end Holiday Season) can be some of the most profitable periods of the year for any business - and also a recipe for mayhem, if you don't take steps to help ensure success!  To prepare for busy season(s), our process involves several key steps:

1. Check-up

a.  Equipment & Facilities  (Example - is any maintenance or upkeep due that might cause issues?)
b.  Staff Numbers and Readiness  (Example - do we need to hire?  Is staff current with training?)
c.  Supply (Example - check with vendors to anticipate potential hiccups with key products)

2. Inform

a.  Ensure staff are aware of the challenges and changes that are a part of a busy season.
b.  Make sure that any increases to hours/schedules are both understood and accepted.
c.  If there are special products or offerings, ensure everyone is trained-up!

3. Encourage 

a.  Busy seasons are stressful!  Use plenty of positive reinforcement to let staff know they are appreciated.
b.  Consider spot-bonuses, good-natured competitions, and other incentives.
c.  Plan a team-building event at the end of the busy season, and remind staff of that coming reward.

Good preparation and a focus on team-level execution can make your next busy season your best!  And if the train goes off the tracks - don't panic!  Remember to keep the focus on positive elements, and you can succeed!

Good luck!