Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to Permanently Delete Archived Items

Please add the ability to permanently delete from the system selected items that have been archived.

Archived items build up and can create confusion when building menus and groups. I find myself changing names of archived items to include wording like "DO NOT USE", etc...

One time when I asked Toast to clear out archived items it created havoc as some of the properties of those archived items somehow created some crossover confusion, etc...

36 REPLIES 36

I think everyone has access to the menu cleanup tool now. If you don't see it you might not have internal tools permission. https://www.toasttab.com/restaurantmenucleanup/home I think there is some confusion about deleting, not even support can delete a menu item, but you can archive items you don't use so that they don't appear when adding existing items to menu. 

One more time. Archiving is a useless feature when I need to DELETE an item. I never want to see it again, I never want to deal with it, I never sold it, it's never been used ever at any location, it's just in my way of finding things I actually wanted to archive and bring back at a later date.

I suppose it's not surprising that even support can't delete items. In general support is about as useful as a wet paper bag.

The fact they won't allow true deletion is truly mind blowing. It shouldn't be outside the scope of possibility  to write an IF Sales Data Exists; Display Warning "Sales Data Exists for this item, Item cannot be deleted; Else Delete type of check so that you could delete things. My formatting is probably way off for that statement, it's been a long time since I've done anything in that field.

There are a number of things I like about Toast, but at least an equal number of things I dislike. There is absolutely no legitimate reason they could not fix this and allow deletion. Instead all the time is spent making and rolling out a POS screen overhaul that really didn't improve anything it just made it look different. Things like this are one of the reasons anytime someone asks for POS recommendations I always tell them to look anywhere else.

The only reason I haven't begun an earnest search for a replacement myself is because that is a very time consuming task. It is definitely on my list though.

I was just pointing out the existence of the menu cleanup tool to the person asking about it. But personally before I create a new item I just look for an item I don't use or need anymore and overwrite it, essentially deleting it. 

Looking for an old item to overwrite might work. That's still absolutely not a solution. I shouldn't have too look through my archives for a copy of an old item each time I want create a genuinely new one.

The overwriting is just a workaround to Toast's lazy and/or incompetent approach to the issue.

Be careful overwriting old items in archives as you need to check all the properties of those items before doing so , ie: prep stations , sales categories , applicable taxes , modifier groups attached to it etc.