Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holding a table after payment

HarrySmith
Soup II

Hi, im not sure if this is the correct section for this. I have a functionality question. Quite often we have customer that want to sit down but insist on paying in advance, however we would like the ability to hold the customer/order at the table until manually closed. The toast POS system closes checks automatically once payment is taken.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Harry,

I believe if you wanted a work around for this, you could do as follows. Split the check and make add a place holder item in the second check. This could be something as simple as "don't close check" with a cost of $0.00. That second check would remain open on the table until you decide to close it so that it properly communicates with your reservation software that the table is still actively being sat at.

Best,

Brian

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Rob
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for reaching out to the community! I'm not sure I understand the request. Do you want to process a payment before adding items to a check, and then have the order hold the payment until you manually close out the check?

Use the Send, Stay and Hold Buttons on Your POS
The Hold Button

Robert Anderson, Community Manager
Toast

For example if a customer sits a table one, we take the order, but the customer insists on paying immediately. On the POS seating layout I want table 1 for example to remain as occupied until a staff member closes the table. What is currently happening is if a customer pays upfront the POS system closes the check and shows the table 1 as now vacant. 

Rob
Community Manager
Community Manager

I understand; I don't think this can be done; however, as a workaround, you could open a new check and charge the card for the amount requested by the customer. Then, once the order is complete, you could move the payment to the customer's check and close it out. This is the only workaround I can think of at the moment.

Robert Anderson, Community Manager
Toast

I dont think this would work Rob. It would pop up saying that you cannot charge for more than the amount on a bill. Could only do as you say if you were to do an open item amount for the subtotal of the bill in question, which would then mess up your voids if you are tracking that information