Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hybrid Order and Pay Model

jchristen
Soup I

We are a full-service restaurant with an older trending clientele. While we desperately would like to utilize Order and Pay technology, our existing guest base would kick and scream if we abandoned the traditional service model. Can we create a few different order flows with Order and Pay so we can keep the traditional consumer experience while utilizing the technology to make ordering more seamless? Example to follow....

1. Server greets table and opens check with the handheld, performs service pitch, specials, etc. (maybe enters the first drink/app order from the handheld).

2. Guest then views menu from O&P and can enter their additional apps/salads/entrees/deserts/additional drinks on their own. Flagging down their server if they have any questions or additional needs. 

3. Payment: How do we make these transactions chipped and secured? There is too much opportunity for credit card fraud with non-chipped transactions. Can the server take a chipped pre-auth payment at the beginning of the meal, where the customer can add tip, take survey and close out with O&P? Can the server print out a receipt with QR code in which the guest can scan at a kiosk up front? Again, chipped, secure, tip, survey, etc.  Are there any other processes in which the guest is able to pay via secure chip transaction with O&P? Thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

Rob
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @jchristen great questions! Thanks for reaching out. Based on the material I could find, this workflow can happen. However, we do not allow chipped pre-authorizations; if you want to pre-authorize a card, it must be swiped. 

Toast Mobile Order & Pay™ FAQs

Card Pre-Authorization FAQ

Robert Anderson, Community Manager
Toast

Thanks for the reply Rob. What is the best way to incorporate Chipped transactions with O&P? There is just too much CC Fraud these days and without a chipped transaction the restaurant will end up paying for it every time. 

We are working through the same issues.   In addition to the concerns about fraud, we are paying the paying processing fees at the “keyed transaction” rate.   This was an increased expense I didn’t focus on when we adopted order and pay.    The idea we had was asking customers to flag down a server to “help close out their tab” at the end of their meal. This also facilitates sharing a tab which few of our customers have been successful at on their own.    Curious where you ended up on this. We have the same issues with our older clientele.   I stubbornly stick with Order and Pay but if our reviews are any indication, it is costing us busienss.