cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Practice POS functions at anytime!

jenni
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here by customer request – Toast Learning Design and Customer Training have partnered to develop a solution that enables restaurant employees to practice using the POS without access to Toast Web or the physical POS! 

Users can now access hands-on tutorials for common Front of House POS functions in a sandbox environment. The tutorials can be accessed via the Getting Started with POS Functionality section of Toast Classroom page.

We are so excited about introducing this innovative modality to enhance on-the-job training for new Toast POS users.

Let us know in the comments if you’ve used them! ⬇️

7 REPLIES 7

This is a nice start, but it would be great to have a training mode for new floor staff to get familiar with the layout and functionality of their restaurant's Toast POS menu.  That way they can get comfortable with the device itself and not have to worry about sending orders to the kitchen or voiding them at the end, or taking devices offline to train.  Like a 'test mode' for employees...that would be a really useful addition.

Hi @Kirsten_H, thanks for sharing this feedback! I just passed it along to the learning team.

-Jenni

Hi again @Kirsten_H, the learning team sent over a couple other resources that seem like they'd be helpful for you and your team-

Test Mode Overview: https://central.toasttab.com/s/article/Test-Mode-Enable-and-Disable-1492802389999 

Training your team on Toast: https://central.toasttab.com/s/article/Training-Your-Team-on-Toast-1492803990315

I appreciate this, but Test Mode is impractical for training purposes.  We have to train employees while we are open, sometimes due to restaurant hours and sometimes due to employee availability.

Training videos are helpful, but there really is no substitute for hands-on training with the device.  As a hands-on learner, it was very difficult for me to conceptualize setting up the back end of Toast without being able to see it, and I think many of our service staff would feel the same way about actually training on a device.  

Anecdotally, I was a customer at another restaurant that uses Toast this spring.  It was the server's first day back after being away at school, and she ended up taking our order on paper because she was not 'up to date' on her restaurant's Toast layout.  Learning it (or re-acquainting) on the fly can be tough even for an experienced server.