cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does KDS still work when toast network is down?

If KDS is connected wirelessly to toast managed network, does it talk directly to the Handhelds or Flex system or is everything routed through toast network?

Need to know if kitchen can still receive orders if only using a KDS. Also would it make a difference if I connect KDS via LAN vs wireless?

5 REPLIES 5

It will eventually work in offline mode for everyone (still being rolled out I believe). You would have to check your device status to see if you have it yet, if you see a section called sync hub device then you have local sync and KDS will continue to function if Toast system is offline. Wireless or wired doesn't matter, though wired is always preferred if you have the option. 

Does this mean that once "sync hub device" is rolled out, all toast devices can at least sync locally? Meaning orders entered in one handheld will be visible to all handhelds, flex systems even when toast network is offline or my restaurant looses internet connectivity?

That is the final goal yes, but KDS sync is the first stage, the final form will be all syncing with the sync hub including orders, or at least that was the plan when I learned about this several months ago during a zoom call about improving the offline mode experience. I currently have KDS local sync, haven't had a outage yet but I intentionally caused one to test it and it worked great. 

Hi @rcmck!

I recently signed up for this beta, however, I was not provided with additional information on how to use. I found one article in Toast central, but again, not much was explained. Were you provided with additional information on how to utilize this feature? Currently one of our locations is offline, and being able to use this feature would help tremendously!

Thank you!

Sayra Daniel, Community Ambassador
Egg Harbor Cafe
Mililani, Hawaii