Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toast Tips Manager: Shift Review

AH22
Soup II

I am looking into integrating Toast Payroll and Tips Manager into our current system but I cannot seem to find answers to a couple of my questions before I commit. If anyone already has this or knows, please fill me in. Thanks!

1. When the servers complete a shift currently, they collect all of their non-cash and cash tips and get to take them home immediately that same day. If I were to get Tips Manager, would my servers still be able to take their non-cash and cash tips home at the end of every shift after adding to the pool?

2. Does the Tip Manager account for what tips to pool on the shift review before they clock out? 

I want my servers to still be able to take home their share of their tips every shift, but the articles are not very specific about whether they can or not. If I were to start implementing the tips manager and payroll, I would hate to find out last minute that my serving staff cannot receive their tips every shift like they have for the last 17 years.... and have to get them via paychecks instead. They would have a meltdown....

Thanks for the help!

5 REPLIES 5

Rob
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @AH22, thanks for reaching out with these questions! I will reach out to my team and update you! 

Robert Anderson, Community Manager
Toast

Rob
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @AH22, this is what my team had to say!

• "Tips Manager can tell you the final calculations of the tips pools the following day, not at the end of their specific shift. In "pooling by shift," we use the restaurant's service hours to determine a "shift" - not the individual employee's time entry. Calculations are not considered final until both the end of the restaurant service hours and once everyone has clocked out for the day.

• The tips shown on the shift review do not come from the tips manager. You can select a set percentage from sales categories in UI Options which would appear on the shift review, but it would not come from Tips Manager or be considered in Tips Manager calculations.

• If you need to tip out post-pooled amounts after every shift, Tips Manager's current functionality probably isn't right for you. 
    • If you are willing to adjust to the following day or pick up tips at the end of the week, you can still choose to mark all tips as "paid" when reporting the amounts on their paycheck in payroll.

Robert Anderson, Community Manager
Toast

Rob - I had the same question as the poster so this is helpful.  So, my question now is, at the end of the week, can we ru a report that showed what we paid them (we pay CC tips nightly) vs what they were supposed to be paid via the pool so we can adjust?

1. I’m not sure

2. shift review displays tips owed 

3. toast payroll offers a pay card that allows access to a certain % of banked tips.

side note my servers got over it quickly when tips went on checks and my tax situation improved. It’s more common than not these days to pay tips  on the check