cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclude guests who receive a check discount from ALSO getting rewards points and double dipping

escoop
Salad I

How can I prevent a guest from earning rewards points when they get a discount?  For example, we offer a 25% discount to military, but if they join rewards, they end up with a whopping 33% discount.  How can we set up Toast so that if a guest receives a discount (ie: 10%, 20% or 25%) the guest is ineligible to double dip and earn rewards/loyalty points too?

7 REPLIES 7

Rob
Community Manager
Community Manager

I reached out to my team for help on this, this is what they said:
For "amount spent" earning programs, customers can earn points on any net amount they pay for. If a guest receives a discount for $2 on a $10 order, they will only earn points for the $8 spent.

For "visit-based" earning programs, guests will currently earn for that visit (regardless of getting a discount) as long as they meet any minimum spend requirement.

So, an amount spent program might be helpful because it reduces the rewards earned based on discounts. 

Robert Anderson, Community Manager
Toast

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the information; we already have an "amount spend" program. 

We still do not want our employees have a loyalty account and we'd love to prevent loyalty accounts from being added to checks with employee discounts. This most often happens when an employee's card has been linked to a family member's loyalty account and so the loyalty account is automatically being added to the checks and then that account is earning points that it should not be.

In our experience, the "feature" of automatically linking any credit card used on a check with a loyalty account to that account has created more problems than it was likely implemented to prevent. (We have had loyalty rewards used erroneously by guests that have gotten their card linked to someone else's loyalty account because they split a bill.)

Is there any way to opt out of credit cards automatically linking to Loyalty accounts?  Or to limit it to only one linked card?

Thanks!

we are running into a similar issue and I wish there was a way to limit the cards linked to an account as well.  And to exclude employees from using the rewards system other than by honor.  We just implemented a policy for employees to have to pay full price if using rewards or use the employee discount but not both.  It won't solve all the problems but hopefully it will help offset some of the double dipping that we recently discovered.