cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is "Toast Local" (as shown on our Google Business Profile), and how do we get rid of it?

Erin
Salad I

Hi! I asked this in another chain, but didn't get an answer so posting in a separate post in hopes someone can shed some light.

Toast recently launched their integration with Google My Business (so your ToastOO buttons can now show up directly on your google business profile--which is great!).

However, ours is also now showing a "Toast Local" option. Does anybody know what this is? We use our own in-house drivers (the option on the left), but I cannot find any articles about what "Toast Local" actually is. It is showing up under both Delivery AND Pickup on our Google page. Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 5.29.45 PM.png

When I click on "Toast Local", it takes me to an error page:

Erin_1-1671150501137.png

I think this is very confusing for customers, and at the very least does not look professional routing customers to a dead link. 

Is anyone else seeing this on your Google Business profile when you google your restaurant? 

Also, why is my Delivery Fee showing a range of $0-$4 (on the left option), when our Delivery Fee is a static $4? And why is my Toast Delivery showing 25 minutes, when in reality it's 45 (as the right button shows)? 

9 REPLIES 9

au79teahouse
Community Ambassador

Yes, our business address with Toast that had something to do with location services (I'm no expert on this. This is what I was told). I want to point out that business address may not be the reason that causes the "Toast Local" button not working on your google business page in your case. I'm simply saying that it might has something to do with the configuration on Toast end based on my prior experience because the "Toast Local" button works on my business page but not on yours. Google ordering is a relatively new feature and what is why I suggest you to contact Toast support and ask for one of tier 2 agents for assistance as they are more experienced and knowledgeable. Or people in the Toast community might have the solution to your problem.

josh212
Community Ambassador

Google Maps API for food ordering required some sort of application interface to work with. 
That is just what they are calling  the embedded interface for google 

Erin, my understanding is that the advantage of Toast Local or your own website online ordering link is that the guest data is shared with the restaurant, vs the Order with Google the guest must explicitly opt in for the restaurant to get the guest data.  We removed the 3rd party links and now have 3 links, Order with Google, Toast Local, and our Online ordering link as well. 

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 2.49.22 PM.png

Thanks for that Screenshot!  Since I find the customer user experience of both the ToastOO and Toast Local buttons to be horrible (for those restaurants who use modifiers & nested modifiers), I'm going to try adding a weblink (as you have done) to our direct ToastOO URL, and see if that gives a better ordering experience for our cusotmers.

It usually takes quite a while for Google to update, but I'll report back once I have a better idea of how it all flows.  If it's better, then I'd prefer to get rid of the ToastOO/Google integration and Toast Local buttons all together. The only thing they're doing now is confusing customers with inaccurate information and a poor ordering workflow. 

Toast--- it would be great the Dev team could work on the user-friendliness of the Google integration & Toast Local for those restaurants with more complicated menus. 

Thanks for this feedback. I will let them know! 

Robert Anderson, Community Manager
Toast