Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to Permanently Delete Archived Items

Please add the ability to permanently delete from the system selected items that have been archived.

Archived items build up and can create confusion when building menus and groups. I find myself changing names of archived items to include wording like "DO NOT USE", etc...

One time when I asked Toast to clear out archived items it created havoc as some of the properties of those archived items somehow created some crossover confusion, etc...

36 REPLIES 36

Rob
Community Manager
Community Manager

As mentioned by rcmck, the Toast system doesn't allow for the permanent deletion of menus, items, and other elements due to historical reporting purposes and data integrity. The Menu Cleanup Tool, which is an internal tool, also moves these elements to an "archived" state rather than deleting them permanently.

Robert Anderson, Community Manager
Toast

There is no reason for this policy though. Hell half of my archived items have never been used on any level and only exist because Toast royally screwed up setting up the menu initially. I have a full copy of my entire menu at one location that has never ever been used but I have to sort through it every time I make a discount.

Simply designing the system to check if an archived item has ever been rang in before permanent deletion would be a HUGE improvement. Even if the item has been rang in in the past we should still be able to delete it if we wish. Our sales records are our business not yours.

adamj
Community Ambassador

Worth Reminding your teams to always search history before creating new menu items. This would help to minimize duplicate items from being created.

Here are some additional tips:

Create a naming convention for archived items that is clear and easy to understand. This will help teams to quickly identify and avoid using archived items.
Use the "Archived" filter in the Items database to quickly find and view all of your archived items.

Yes, understand that and we do put tags on archiving items like "Do Not Use", etc...But if you make a deep copy of an item and later remove the wording "Deep Copy" and later archive the same item...then you now have 2 copies of an item with the same name and Archives get cluttered with these deep copies etc.. The wording "deep copy" must be removed so the item doesn't show with that wording in Online Ordering, kitchen tickets and or customer receipts. It would just be better to be able to permanently delete items you no longer want in archives.

Exactly. It also creates a lot of confusion with including/excluding items when creating a discount. You have to navigate through every item you have created since the dawn of time.