Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to Permanently Delete Archived Items

Please add the ability to permanently delete from the system selected items that have been archived.

Archived items build up and can create confusion when building menus and groups. I find myself changing names of archived items to include wording like "DO NOT USE", etc...

One time when I asked Toast to clear out archived items it created havoc as some of the properties of those archived items somehow created some crossover confusion, etc...

36 REPLIES 36

Our item count skyrocketed after Toast bungled our Doordash menu creation. Twice. Now we're stuck with hundreds of "zombie" items and modifiers.  Nearly 6000 items and 4000 modifiers in our items database.

We have been asking for a way to deduplicate our menu database and keep hearing "no".

Maybe hear us for a change, Toast.

Rob
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have shared your feedback with my team. Thank you all for taking the time to provide your input!

Robert Anderson, Community Manager
Toast

I need this ability for original data load process of inventory in Toast Retail. When I attempt to bulk overwrite values in Toast Retail, the overwritten values do not persist, and only the new values are persisted.

Since I cannot use bulk update successfully, I'd like the ability to delete the entire dataset and then re upload.

josh212
Community Ambassador

I believe that there is a disconnect when it comes to managing the archive versus removing items. If you no longer want an item on a menu or a modifier to be shown on a particular item, you should delete it from the menu group or modifier groups. This allows you to re-add it as an existing item. 

If you are permanently discontinuing an item then you should archive it. I believe that it is kept in the archive solely to handle credit card dsiputes or historical financial issues so the times don't appear as "null," This is especially useful for customers looking back on receipts for either loyalty or in general as you dont want to had a receipt that just has "null" Items

No
Archived items cause many issues especially when there are many duplicates. The issues they create are too profound to discuss here. Long time Toast users certainly know the issues and I’m sure would be very happy if items could just be permanently deleted. Items can certainly also be archived as there is a benefit to that but permanently being able to delete items in archive is something that only long time Toast users who have come across certain circumstances too numerous too mention here would appreciate.