Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card convenience charge

Looking for some community help!

I can’t be the only one trying to add a credit card convenience charge to find out that toast can’t do it supposedly???  Had a convo with support that basically did nothing.

trying to add in a small percentage to all credit card transactions that are used that the customer pays for.  Going to put it on the receipt and be upfront about it… just can’t figure out how!!!

5 REPLIES 5

joenhash
Soup I

So now according to Toast - 

The Service Charge feature is intended to enable merchants to add fees restaurants customarily charge unrelated to a guest’s payment method, such as mandatory gratuity or fees for larger parties, and not to add fees specifically for the use of a payment card. Fees specific to the use of a payment card are known as “surcharges” and the Service Charge feature was never designed or intended to support it. Any use of our platform to add a surcharge, including through a Service Charge, introduces at least a high risk of noncompliance and, starting April 15, 2023, will not comply with Visa’s rules. Any merchant who chooses to add a surcharge using our platform may incur fines for noncompliance from card networks, and bears responsibility for such fines. We may disable any Service Charge or other use of our platform that leads to surcharging or other noncompliance at any time.

What is the solution now? I had implemented a CC Convenience fee, but since reading this, I have removed it. I know that there are other establishments in my area charging a "fee" to pay with your cards.