Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing ticket numbers throughout the day

I was a former Clover user and switched to Toast a little over a year ago, the first thing I noticed was that we were missing ticket numbers, we would rarely start with ticket number 1, never could get a satisfactory answer from Toast and was wondering if anyone else noticed that this happens.  On an average we are missing about 15 tickets per day, it makes no sense to me since Clover recorded all ticket numbers and even ticket numbers that were removed and in Toast a normal opening in the past 2 weeks, we start with order 5, what happened to order 1-4. The answer I received from Toast was that orders may have been voided and/or cancelled. But if no orders were placed and/or taken "what causes order numbers to be missing"

Background: with Clover the staff would remove all items from a ticket (cash tickets) and reuse those ticket numbers throughout the day. You could tell by the time stamp of the ticket and the removed items each day. So, that is why I am concerned about about missing tickets. Good news is, that staff is no longer with the business, and I trust my current staff completely. thanks for any input anyone has.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rob
Community Manager
Community Manager

This article explains all the reasons that this may be happening! 
Get Help with Missing Check Numbers

Robert Anderson, Community Manager
Toast

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

This is normal, anytime you open an order screen you get an order number even if nothing is every rang in, depending on how long in-between the next time you login you will likely get another number, it does this for online orders as well I believe.  If you are concerned with the removal of items I would turn on audit removed items under UI options if it is not, so that you can keep an eye out for that. 

sorry for the really late reply, I understand what you are saying, but if I was ever audited, I am sure the auditors would like to know where all these tickets are and the system makes it look like you removed a ticket and kept the cash. Your explanation may be true, however, it does not address the fact that I never start with ticket 1, always 3 or 4 at taking the first order. The POS system is only operational for employees to clock in and for adding money to the draw before the start of the day.  I would really like to know why I am never starting with ticket 1. I do believe this is a flaw in the toast system, an order is an order, a business should not be missing orders unless that order is voided out and/or all items have been removed and there would be a record of this under the removed items list and voided tickets and/or items.

The only reason I can think that would cause that is online gift card sales which are available 24/7 (if you offer that), they will be given a check number so if you sold some outside of business hours you could start with 3 or 4. My explanation is more of a guess on how it seems to work, I do notice the same things as you, but I don't know if eventually the check numbers get reused or if they just go away completely for that day. Maybe @Rob could get some further information on exactly how it works and why. 

Hi there moleary!

Aside from voided checks, all items being removed from a check may cause that number to be removed from the check list. Are there any tickets being created and then all items removed from it? If the ticket numbers aren't being reused, that should also avoid the possibility of fraudulent ticketing, but I'll check in with our team to see if they can shed any additional light on this!