Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Require minimum cash tips

We are just about to enable the require a minimum cash tips percentage in Toast.  However, both our servers and cashiers are marked as tipped employees in their job settings.  If I enable that will it require it for ALL tipped employees with cash sales?  Sometimes our cashiers don't make much in cash tips (possibly not enough to hit the percentage minimum we set).  Would I have to turn off that tipped employee option for their job?  By turning it off would it affect their credit card tips?

Thanks.  I don't want to turn it on and suddenly create a problem with our cashiers.

5 REPLIES 5

It would be for everyone, though it is just calculated a percentage of the total cash sales and is variable based on that, for instance of you set it to 8% and they had $5 in cash sales it would as them to claim a minimum of 40 cents. The system knows nothing about actual cash tips which applies to any cash left on credit card sales, it's just the net cash sales for the shift. 

Thanks for the quick reply. 
I'll give you a scenario we came across when we were proving this out at one location.
Cashier working our drive through location, has $700 in cash sales one night, receives a $2 tip.  If we had our 10% requirement set she would have to claim $7, $5 more than she actually received.  She would have not been happy with us.  I'm trying to avoid these situations, especially with our drive through cashiers.

Gotcha, do these drive thru employees tend to even get any credit card tips then? Maybe just create a new job for drive thru cashier with tipped unchecked? 

The cashiers do receive some credit card tips so I don't want to exclude them getting those reported (we pay credit card tips out to them at the end of their shift).