Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shift Change HELP

Hi there! I am looking for some examples of how other business's handle a shift change?  We only have one bar drawer and one kitchen drawer.  We will mostly be using the bar drawer and the shift change cash outs will occur there. However, it doesn't seem like it goes very smoothly at all.  How do we handle the day shift closing out and the night shift coming in without there being a lull in service?  Also, how so you handle counting change?  Do the staff count all change including pennies? and then you leave a new bank with all new change for the next shift?  This is probably confusing, but if someone is to understand what I am asking and can provide shift change examples that would be great.  Thank you!!!

5 REPLIES 5

We do this everyday.  One drawer at the bar. 

• Drawer gets prepared for the day by Owner/Manager with a start amount recorded on a "daily sheet"
  • Incoming day shift bartender counts the drawer manually (Toast does not have a good "count bills" option) and if it matches Owner start amount, the bartender 'adjusts starting balance' of the drawer.
  • When the evening bartender arrives and clocks in:
    • day shift bartender adjusts tips, closes checks and transfers any open checks to new bartender, and then runs shift report.
    • Evening bartender selects "close drawer", counts the drawer and it runs a close drawer report - if the drawer is over the original start amount, they deposit the "Expected deposit" amount - (remove that amount from the drawer and turn in to Owner).  The drawer is back to the original starting amount.
    • If the drawer is under (negative) the new amount becomes the start amount
    •  I know it sounds confusing and we really struggled at first.  This is our 3rd POS system in 16 years and so far our least favorite for cash drawer management.  It doesn't take us all that long to do it - If I can be of any help let me know!

Thank you so much for sharing.  We are going to try this today.  It's been very stressful.  LOL

We just have extra cash drawers that are made up with our starting balance, do the usual closing of tabs, transfers, and shift review, print reports, swap drawer and start a new shift and drawer, take care of the counting the previous shift drawer in the office, close drawer from backend.

Thank you!  Could the bartender close the other drawer from the kitchen monitor?  Or would I  have to do it from the backend?  And when you say backend, how do you do it specifically? This is all so new to me.