Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Router to fix printing issues

Has anyone else been told to upgrade their meraki router because it was at the threshold of too many devices?

We have been having serious kitchen printing problems on busy nights.  During service the expo printer will stop printing mid order, not print at all or take up to a 1:30 to actually print.  A simple restart of the printer by turning it off for 10 secs corrects the problem.  We also have a KDS for expo and this is how we know about the delays on printing.  Typically the back-up printer will work and there is no loss of tickets.  Last night it happened 5-6 times and it created chaos!  We have 5 terminals in the dining rooms/bar, three printers in the kitchen and one KDS.  We also have up to 4 handhelds operating on busy nights.  I am hoping the investment in a new router will fix the kitchen printing issues.  Has anyone else had a similar problem?  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Seems like more of a printer issue. Have you tried a new Ethernet cable yet? Also seen bad power supply cause printing to stop mid print. Don't think a router is going to fix the problem, that is not that many devices. 

rcmk thanks for the suggestions.  I agree that it should not be the router. I have a tester for the ethernet cable and it always test ok.    UPDATE:  Talked to several techs yesterday and finally on the third tech "expert" he identified that we had several back end issues with menu management and old printers still in the system.  Essentially too many options for orders to go and they would bog down the system on extremely busy nights.  He cleaned the old printers up and and shut down an old Expo 2  printer (during covid we setup another expo printer to help with social distancing in the kitchen and it was still active in the back end but turned off at the terminal).  He is confident with these changes we should not see the problems identified above.  I will update in a few weeks.