Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to Permanently Delete Archived Items

Please add the ability to permanently delete from the system selected items that have been archived.

Archived items build up and can create confusion when building menus and groups. I find myself changing names of archived items to include wording like "DO NOT USE", etc...

One time when I asked Toast to clear out archived items it created havoc as some of the properties of those archived items somehow created some crossover confusion, etc...

36 REPLIES 36

@flyfish66 i know this all too well lol 

josh212_0-1707938837628.png these were about 1/4 of the items i had to manually remove visibility from 1 by 1 as a new tech support decided to do 7 deep copies of a pizza topping modifier group in which every item is also used as an item with different sets of modifiers. However it would be even more annoying if the order data wasn't there

I wish that were the case. I reverified this. I may be wrong but I just ran a test to make sure. ITEMS can be removed from groups, the item itself can't be archived. The GROUP or MENU is what can be archived. The problem is that ANY ITEM WITHIN AN ARCHIVED GROUP OR MENU CONTINUES TO SHOW ANYTIME YOU WANT TO ADD AN ITEM TO A GROUP. The notion that items will not show if the GROUP is  archived is not evident in my testing. I created a group called TEST ARCHIVE GROUP and added a new item called TEST ARCHIVE ITEM. I then tried to archive just the TEXT ARCHIVE ITEM and it only gives the option for it to be Removed. Next I archived the entire group which it does allow. Next I went to a random exisiting group and did EDIT > ADD EXISITING ITEM and sure enough the TEST ARCHIVE ITEM was there as a  choice to be used. This was clear as day in my test. Now what happens if you archive a group with say 100 items in it, all those items are still available to add and appear as exisiting items and this is where the problem lies and gets worse if you add them not realizing that they belonged to an archived group and they may have distinct properties associated with them that you want to currently use, like routing to incorrect printers, screens, groups etc...I have been at this with Toast for what seems like 3 years. Is Toast higher tier even seeing what I wrote here?? If so tell me that what I stated here is incorrect and what am I doing wrong.

Archiving groups does not archive items in the groups, you need to do that from the items database. You can search for items and modifiers, as well as see if they are in use anywhere, then archive them if you don't want them to appear. https://www.toasttab.com/restaurants/admin/menuitems

But if you accidently archived it and you want it deleted instead how can you go about doing that?

According to Toast I believe you go into Items Database  and look for Archived Items and they are deleted there , I haven’t tried this myself as I have so many items and duplicates of items that it becomes difficult knowing if you are deleting the correct item. So try that, just be careful that if you have duplicates of items or similiary named items that you are deleting the correct item. In general Toast doesn’t seem to have a perfect solution for this and they don’t want items deleted permanently deleted as they are attached to historical data.