cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to track employee meals

Takuya
Soup III

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in hearing about the methods you use at your restaurant to track employee meals. At our restaurant, employees are permitted to have their meals before and after their shifts. We're trying to implement a system where they place their own orders for these meals through our POS system. However, since they're eating before clocking in and after clocking out, they technically wouldn't be able to order their meals through the POS, right?

Here's what we aim to achieve:

• Employees should be able to order meals through the POS system before clocking in and after clocking out.
  • These meals should be free of charge.
  • We want to be able to track how much they've ordered in meals each month.

Any advice on how to best accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your insights.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

that is not possible. You can set up a ghost employee. Your staffs only use that ghost employee's pin to order employee meals before or after shift.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

I agree.  we offer employee meal discounts.  But they need to be clocked in to use.  A ghost account looses all trackable reports.  everyone goes in a general bucket.  Employee could sweat heart meals with friends by login into ghost account at POS anytime...  not a good option

You can require your staff to put in their names as comment when they use the employee discount. In that way, you can still track who has been abusing their benefits. There isn't a really good work to prevent people from cheating the system. Unless Toast can implement something like unique employee ID card for each employee that can be scanned to get discount so is traceable. But again, dishonest people will also try to abuse the system in anyway they can.

i have it so they put in their name now as a required item for discount.  thanks.  just want to track orders they make before meal break time.  and pay at store close better via POS. 

IF you use the Toast online ordering or such, you could also set the comp as a promo, forcing a comment. People could then use the app, type in the promo, add their name?  Just a thought..

I have made a Dine Option Employee "Purchase".   The employee rings up their own food order on POS.  They must select a Employee Name ('themselves'  from a menu list of my employees, required to get discount to work)  That will allow them to select the 40% discount for their order.  They can then select print button and kitchen ticket and receipt will print.  They put the unpaid printed receipt on the bulletin board to pay at end of shift.  kitchen tix goes to kitchen.   This is only to save time for rest or meal break food wait for staff.  I wanted it entered into POS, since they had been hand writing it on a blank paper.  I just wanted to track orders so it is fair to all.  I just wish we could limit any discount  per each staff member per day.  without manager override.