Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nested Items / Modifiers

Hi I am in the process of switching to Toast and am currently programming my backend.  I am looking for help with nested items / modifiers.  For example, I offer a special that includes 2 hot dogs and often times the customers want the hot dogs prepared differently.  I saw this on a Toast POS where it was programmed to allow the order taker to select an option that was Hot Dog 1, then select the modifers, and another option for Hot Dog 2, which also jumped to a different modifier group to handle the request, on the display it showed up in a nested fashion:

• 2 Hot Dog Special (item)
  •            Hot Dog 1 (sub item ?)
  •                   Ketchup (modifier)
  •                   Mustard (modifier)
  •            Hot Dog 2 (sub item ?)
  •                     Plain (modifier)

The overall result was 3 levels, main item, sub item, and then the regular modifier groups applied to the sub item

I am looking to duplicate this, any help appreciated in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

Hi, check out this recent post on using it for half and half pizza topping, I  replied on how to set it up,  it's the same basic concept for your situation, just replace the Half Toppings with 1st and 2nd hot dogs, and your nested modifier groups as you need them. 

Thanks for the reply this was exactly what I needed, in my opinion it would be more efficient for the order taker if the "whole, first half, second half" options were in the "toppings" position.  However the modifier group doesn't print on the ticket, there's no way around that?  

Correct, modifier groups do not print, only modifiers themselves, that is why it is necessary to nest them otherwise the tickets would make no sense. There is no way to print modifier groups.