cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to set different visibilities for modifiers between Online Ordering and Toast Order and Pay

Hi there,

We use Toast Order and Pay (QR Codes) heavily in our restaurant, and have create a modifier for items that customers want to order "To go". When setting up our Online Ordering, we would like to disable the visibility of this modifier for customers who are ordering online. 

This seems possible via the Advanced menu edit, but it doesn't actually hide the modifier in the online menu item. When we look at the new Menu editing experience, you are actually unable to set different visbility between Online Ordering and Toast Order and Pay. 

Any ideas?

NB We already heave created different menus and menu groups for Online Ordering, but the modifers are attached to the menu "item" so if we delete the modifier it removes across all menus. And we would rather than create new menu items (different menu IDs) as it will create challenges for reporting.

Thanks!

bottletheory_0-1707087084146.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

So the to-go modifier group is assigned to every individual menu item? Since you have different menus for online ordering if that modifier group was added at the menu group level you would be able to just remove it from the online ordering menus and not affect the others. It wouldn't be an easy task but I think that is the best solution, I can't remember if online ordering and order and pay visibility has always been linked or if that is new. 

View solution in original post

Example of this, the item level numbers are lower, group level left blank. Now that I think of it you may need to assign numbers to your item level mods. 

1000006235.png

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Example of this, the item level numbers are lower, group level left blank. Now that I think of it you may need to assign numbers to your item level mods. 

1000006235.png

Sdaniel
Community Ambassador

Do you have an example picture? We use Toast Order and Pay also, but what we have found that works for us is adding a "customize...." modifier group for every menu item, but we use that modifier group for both online ordering and Toast Order & Pay. But we also have a separate MOD group for each item to be used by servers and only visible to the POS. I am not sure if this helps you at all, but since we haven't been able to set different visibility for online ordering and OPT, we've just embraced having the customized MODS fit both scenarios. We use OPT for dine-in only. 

Screenshot 2024-02-05 093949.png

Order & Pay - Preview (Not sure if you'll have access to this video...)

Sayra Daniel, Community Ambassador
Egg Harbor Cafe
Mililani, Hawaii

Thanks for sharing. I was able to see your video. Our issue that we want to show the modifier for dine-in guests using OPT, but we want to hide it for Online ordering. 

Curious - not totally clear on why you have two separate Modifier menus? The MODS modifer is for staff only, but does it contain different modifiers than what you show the guests?

Also - how do your dine-in guests order a takeout item via OPT? We get this request all the time...

@rcmck's suggestion to add the modifer at the menu level (instead of item-level) seems to be exactly what we need.

You can also create a "Make To-Go" modifier and add it to each menu item. In this example, I have the "Make To-Go" modifier within the "customize group" and set it visible to only POS, OPT, and Kiosk. The reason we don't add this to all of our menu items is because we use Kiosks at some of our locations, but we specifically use Kiosk for to-go orders. Screenshot 2024-02-05 124131.pngScreenshot 2024-02-05 124151.pngIMG_6280.PNG

Egg Harbor Cafe
Mililani, Hawaii

Sdaniel
Community Ambassador

We have two different MODS because one of the MOD groups is just for staff to use, while the other is for guests to use for online orders/OPT. The customize mods group was created about a year or so after we switched to Toast. We could essentially use one modifier group for both; however, we get a ton of random requests from our managers, and this just works for us. We have discussed having just one mod group and retraining our staff, but where just not in a hurry to do that. 

We use OPT for dine in, and we have the cards on each table only. However, if a guest wants something to go, they are able to add it in the special request box. 

Egg Harbor Cafe
Mililani, Hawaii