Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cash Drawer Balance

We are new to Toast and on our third day.  We lock one cash drawer at the bar to the bartender each shift.  As a small bar, we carry over our balance at the end of the evening in the drawer to the next day.   I am having a hard time figuring out how to do that.  

My go-live coordinator told me never to create a new drawer.  However, after closing out at the end of the evening we get a prompt to start a new drawer and put in a balance.

I am trying to figure out the best way to set up my cash drawer and to do our closing shift at the end of the night for this type of setup. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ok, so the bartender should just be able to leave the drawer and enter whatever the count is as the starting balance for the new drawer when prompted, and the next drawer will start with that balance. The other option (like onboarding suggested) would be to not start a new drawer, if you don't close the drawer (as long as manual reset is on, you can set that under printers and cash drawers) it should just carry over until closed, but you can't lock a cash drawer to someone without it forcing them to count and close it during shift review, so you would not be able to use the cash drawer locking with that setup. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Do you count the drawer at the end of the day? 

We do, which prompts the Bartender who is locked to the drawer to count the drawer.  

Below are some links to help with what Toast believes is a proper close-out process!

Close Out Day, Z Report, and Auto-Capture Overview
End of Day Activities - Cash Management Training - Cash Drawers

Robert Anderson, Community Manager
Toast

Ok, so the bartender should just be able to leave the drawer and enter whatever the count is as the starting balance for the new drawer when prompted, and the next drawer will start with that balance. The other option (like onboarding suggested) would be to not start a new drawer, if you don't close the drawer (as long as manual reset is on, you can set that under printers and cash drawers) it should just carry over until closed, but you can't lock a cash drawer to someone without it forcing them to count and close it during shift review, so you would not be able to use the cash drawer locking with that setup.