Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item names when using nested modifiers

Hello! New Toast user. Is there a way to turn of specific Item names? Specifically Item names which have nested modifiers after them. For example, any particular liquor selection in my menu has the option of about 30 different mixers it can go with. As this seems like a lot to wade through, I have it sorted into a few top different individual items and several items with nested modifiers. So my "Mixers" options are Coke, Tonic, "Other Sodas", "Juice", "Hot Bevs", etc. If I select "Other Sodas", all my other soda options appear. This all works fine, except that on my drink station ticket, it prints "Whatever Liquor", followed by "Other Soda", followed by "X-Soda". It would be terrific if I could just see "Whatever Liquor" followed by "X-Soda" without also having to see "Other Soda" printed on my bar tickets. Is there any way to do this? Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, usually a nested modifier is used where that extra context is needed, like half pizza toppings, salad dressing for a salad that is a already a modifier like a side option for a menu item etc. 

If you feel like you are getting more information on a printed ticket than is necessary then that's a sign you probably nested modifiers when maybe they should just be another modifier group.

If you feel like there is too much in a group then break them off into other modifier groups and avoid nesting.

For example:

mods.png

Rather than something like this where you have just one top level modifier group and all modifiers in that group.

mods2.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

No, usually a nested modifier is used where that extra context is needed, like half pizza toppings, salad dressing for a salad that is a already a modifier like a side option for a menu item etc. 

If you feel like you are getting more information on a printed ticket than is necessary then that's a sign you probably nested modifiers when maybe they should just be another modifier group.

If you feel like there is too much in a group then break them off into other modifier groups and avoid nesting.

For example:

mods.png

Rather than something like this where you have just one top level modifier group and all modifiers in that group.

mods2.png