Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card numbers disappear

We have had several nights where multiple guests’ credit card numbers have disappeared from Toast.

This began Wednesday.  Toast has not been helpful, its as if they dont understand the problem being presented.  

This is the situation:

- Credit Card is pre authorized with approved.  The name of person appears under the tab.  Toast confirms pre authorized.  
- Orders are taken.

-When customer is checking out, the system no longer has the card number.  The tab name remains , the card number and ability to charge the customer has vanished.

- We have experienced instances where we catch the issue while the paying customer is still in the building.  We also have lost revenue when customers walked.  

I have turned to Toast Support for help, they have provided zero. 

This has happened no less than 10 times in 3 days.  
Has anyone else experienced this?  If so, is there a solution?

Also, did Toast take any responsibility or provide any help?  If Toast was responsive, who do I need to talk to?

Thank you in advance for any direction you can provide.

8 REPLIES 8

Rob,

I do not believe this to be the case.  We have had the problem you have outlined, and I have made the staff aware.  For at least two of the issues, I was the one who ran the card and I make absolutely sure the card "preauthorizes".    I will get you the date and tickets this occurred.  We have over 10 instances occurring in a 3 day period.  We caught several on Friday and Saturday, and they were not noted.  Last Wednesday we did not catch, and I kept the receipts.  I will get you the information later today.

We have had another issue as well.  This was noted in Nov 2023, and never resolved...though Toast closed out the ticket.  I tried to reach out to support through chat explaining this has not been resolved, no one followed up.  The issue is on "rare" (has happend multiple times) the customer runs their card, checks out, is prompted to tip, provides a tip, signs and leaves.  Later, it shows that they have a remaining unpaid balance on their tab, yet the tip went through.  I don't have all the records where I am at.  The information should be on tickets from 2023.  

Soup, I am sorry.  Rob the community manager responded back.  I hit the wrong reply.  My apologies to everyone.  Rob is trying to help, so very positive on his part.

Rob
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MorleysBY Every time I have seen this in the past, it was because of a workflow issue. The employee would start a tab first and then swipe a card to pre-auth, but this would only start a tab and grab the guest name, but will not pre-auth the card.

The pre-auth must be completed on the order screen, and a green bar must appear to confirm that it was completed. I will reach out to you for a bit more info. We can check the audit history of the check to learn more.

Screenshot 2024-04-01 at 12.59.30 PM.png

Robert Anderson, Community Manager
Toast