Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepaid tab for private events

I want to create a private event that has a prepaid spending limit for general consumption, then add items as they are ordered to pull off that prepaid total. (Once limit is reached, organizer can cut off ordering or extend tab to allow more ordering which then adds to bill and a follow up invoice can be sent to payee)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have figured it out! For anyone paying attention. When you have a paid invoice, it creates a tab on the POS at party start time. The solve here to do what I want is to create a new tab, then move the payment (for both deposit and final invoice) to the new blank tab. This will create a negative balance for the prepaid total. As you ring up items, it deducts from that negative balance to zero. If they go over, they can charge to card on file or you can send an invoice adjustment through catering and events later.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Did you maybe just  use invoices to request a deposit, then just add items to that check on the POS the day of the event? https://central.toasttab.com/s/article/Charging-Guests-for-Event-Deposits-by-Using-Customer-Invoices Option #2

Guest credit or House account might be able to achieve your goal. But both methods need a little tweaks to work depending on your needs.
https://central.toasttab.com/s/article/Customer-Credits#voidingcustomercredit
https://central.toasttab.com/s/article/House-Accounts-1492809352564

nbunda
Community Ambassador

Not nearly as seamless as what you’re looking for, but I’ll describe our process for our food truck events, which have a contracted minimum:

We use the Toast Catering & Events package. Prior to the event we set up an invoice with a single open item called “Event Minimum”. We happen to collect a 50% deposit on this but you can handle that how you like. We also have set up an open item called “Sales over Minimum” which we will use to tack any additional event sales onto the invoice after the event. Both of these items are deferred so that we are not double dipping on sales reporting. (Sales come in on the individual guest tickets; revenue comes in from the invoice paid by the host; both totals will match at the end.)

For actual event sales, we set up an alternate payment method called “Event Sales” which we use to close out and fire each individual check as the guests order.

At the end of the event, we look at the total of Event Sales, manually subtract whatever the invoiced Event Minimum was, and if there is anything over, we add that onto the invoice (Sales over Minimum), then the host of the event pays the balance of the invoice, either thru the POS or online.

Nick Bunda, Community Ambassador
Anderson's Frozen Custard
Buffalo, NY

I have figured it out! For anyone paying attention. When you have a paid invoice, it creates a tab on the POS at party start time. The solve here to do what I want is to create a new tab, then move the payment (for both deposit and final invoice) to the new blank tab. This will create a negative balance for the prepaid total. As you ring up items, it deducts from that negative balance to zero. If they go over, they can charge to card on file or you can send an invoice adjustment through catering and events later.

Thank you for taking the time to explain how you resolved this! 

Robert Anderson, Community Manager
Toast