Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Server Special Requests

ISSUE: Servers can special request things when putting in an order and not charge for it and the KDS does not show that it was a special request.

SOLUTIONS: A) Is there a way to make special requests require a manager approval? B) Is there a way to highlight any special requests on the KDS? C) Any other suggestions on how to monitor this outside running the backend report on a regular basis?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not at this time. One thing I do is add a $ sign on any real modifiers that are an upcharge for the kitchen ticket/display only. Obviously someone doing something intentional could add a $ in front of their special request as well but that's another issue, and they are just stealing at that point. Also try to monitor the special request report to see if there are places where a modifier is needed, most of the time the special request is used is because there is no other way. Another way of monitoring that I use is the modifier details report. Turn on the modifier ID column, and sort by modifier ID descending, anything with no ID is a special request, and you also get the server as well as the price charged (if any) for every request.  

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Not at this time. One thing I do is add a $ sign on any real modifiers that are an upcharge for the kitchen ticket/display only. Obviously someone doing something intentional could add a $ in front of their special request as well but that's another issue, and they are just stealing at that point. Also try to monitor the special request report to see if there are places where a modifier is needed, most of the time the special request is used is because there is no other way. Another way of monitoring that I use is the modifier details report. Turn on the modifier ID column, and sort by modifier ID descending, anything with no ID is a special request, and you also get the server as well as the price charged (if any) for every request.  

My team is also hoping to have a solution for being able to highlight a special request on the KDS so the kitchen can help identify if it's a regular modifier that may have a charge associated with it or if they should flag us when special request is being abused. Any updates in the last year?

To my knowledge, nothing had changed from what was stated in the previous post. The ways they mentioned are ways. We have as recent as last week been facing similar issues. What I have done is color code the modifier on the KDS screen and also we have the mods set under modifying order priority. Anything typed in under the special requests always goes to the bottom of the ticket so when you are viewing the MODS under reporting you can see how the server rings up the whole check and it was quite interesting how I was able to see the true proper POS entered checks and all the “work arounds” that went back for no charge. Servers are clever but they can’t change the special requests to show a color so that is how I am combating this issue 

Hope this helps 🤓